Build your own Provisional Press and start printing!
One Day – Saturday May 20, 2023 – 10am-5pm
Want to play with letterpress or linoleum block printing in the comfort of your own home?
Ready to finally stop printing everything by hand, but looking for an affordable option?
Looking for a new type of artistic expression to delve into?
The Provisional Press started out as a DIY press idea to help students print at home during COVID. Provisional Presses are a compact, portable, and affordable option for printing at home and will last thousands of prints. They are type high and can be used to print linoleum and letterpress blocks, unmounted linoleum, and letterpress type.
In this class for new or experienced printers, we’ll assemble our presses together, learn how to pull prints on them, and then start experimenting with printing blocks and type.
- Each student will leave with their own Provisional Press and at least one set of prints!
- Class fee: $300
Please note: the class fee includes the $188 cost of the Provisional Press
- No experience necessary / Ages 16 and up
- Class size: limited to 6 students – minimum class size 6
- All materials provided, including one Provisional Press per student
Students bring a lunch (or buy food in town during break)and any blocks from home you want to try printing
Skills students will learn:
- Building a Provisional Press from a kit
- Laying out and “locking up” type or blocks for printing on a Provisional Press
- Inking a block or type, including creative inking methods such as gradients as desired
- Basic color mixing as desired
- Troubleshooting on a Provisional Press
- Adjusting height/pressure on a Provisional Press
- Printing single-layer prints on a Provisional Press
Annie Seder is a printmaker and person-about-town in Cortez, Colorado. They know their way around both a printing press and a toolbox and love using the Provisional Press.
Please apply before registering for the class: SCHOLARSHIP APPLICATION Applications are due by May 12th.
Limited to 6 students – minimum class size 6
Rosie: [email protected] 970-739-8997