THE MANCOS TIMES-TRIBUNE
THE STORY OF THE MANCOS TIMES-TRIBUNE
The Mancos Times Tribune has been an important piece of Mancos history. First known as The Mancos Times, it was the town’s first newspaper, founded in 1893. In 1902 George Blakely started up a new paper, the Mancos Tribune. In 1904 the Freeman brothers purchased the Mancos Times, and in 1906 merged the two newspapers to become the Mancos Times Tribune.
In 1910 the paper moved to its new home on Grand Avenue where it served as office and printing shop until the 1970s when the newspaper went to digital production. In 2013 the boarded up building was discovered completely intact with it’s glass and ornamental pressed metal façade and its original interior and contents including a rare Cranston printing press, 19th century typesetter’s benches, boxes of metal type and image blocks, and a complete archive of original newspapers.
PRESERVING OUR HISTORIC PAST
• This project is paid for in part by a History Colorado – State Historical Fund grant. •